Mold Consulting Services, Herbert E Jensen

Call Today!

208-991-6860

MOLD CONSULTING SERVICES, LLC​​
Herbert E. Jensen,
Indoor Environmental Professional
IICRC Certified - WRT, AMRT, ASD 

Senior and Veteran
 Discounts

FOR YOUR INFORMATION
Mold Related Health Issues
Hidden Mold - What You Can't See
Mold related health issues, mold symptoms
     As mold grows in produces a variety of mycotoxins, some of which are known to cause illness. People within the same environment will differ significantly in their sensitivity to mold. Warning signs include itchy eyes/throat, bloody nose, headaches, nose/bronchial congestion, skin rashes, runny nose, skin sores, coughing, asthma, chronic fatigue, lethargy, mental confusion
and recurring sinusitis and infections.

     Those considered at high risk are infants and children, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems such as people
being treated for cancer or other serious diseases. Mold has been linked to diseases such as cancer, cholera, typhoid fever, asthma
and ameobiasis.                
 
     Continuous exposure to mold contamination will heighten the symptoms and in some cases cause irreparable damage depending on the type of mold.   Air sa mpling is used to determine mold types.  
     The worst infestations of mold growth can be those you cannot see since they are located inside floors, ceilings, walls, crawl spaces, attics, and even the heating/cooling ducts and equipment.

     Moisture detecting equipment can be used to check for hidden moisture in these areas that bay be harboring mold growth.
Airborne mold spores are invisible to the naked eye and are easily carried in air movement or in the flows of your A/C system.
If mold is not remediated properly in hidden areas it can easily
result in contamination of the interior of a structure.
     
     Air sampling can determine the air quality and presence of mold spores. Samples taken from the inside are compared with samples taken from outside to determine if levels are normal or elevated. Questions? Call me for a thorough mold inspection
Home Maintenance Issues
New Construction and Mold
mold inspection, mold sampling, mold testing
Mold Consulting Services inspection sampling testing
     Never ignore water and moisture issues within a structure including roof leaks, plumbing or sewer line leaks, water stains on ceilings, musty interior odors, visible mold growth, high humidity, a wet or damp basement or standing water in a crawl space.
At the first sign of trouble it is wise to make needed repairs as soon as possible.

     Certified and knowledgable disaster clean up technicians are trained to use proper drying techniques to prevent mold growth, apply anti-bacterial products when needed and take care of sewer damage clean up.  Qualified home inspectors can identify structure issues that need repair.
     
     Mold spores are part of the environment. All that is needed for mold to propogate is a sheltered area, moisture and a food source like wood, paper or any cellulose-based material. An annual inspection of attics, crawl spaces and other areas is highly recommended. I can identify problems with an inspection
     New construction is not always mold-free. At times mold affected building mterials are received from the builder's supplier. Today's timbers are not kiln-dried as in earlier times and contain a high internal moisture content.

     Quality control is not always performed in checking for moldy wood. Building materials are often stored in the open air and are damaged by rain and snow. During construction the building in progress is often left open to the elements. In haste to finish a project a contractor may not take steps to properly dry the framing and crawl space. The use of standard building materials like chip wafer board, drywall and plywood are all prime food sources for mold.

      If precautions are not taken during construction
by the time a house is completed the crawl space and framing can be completely contaminated with mold growth. I can provide builders with inspection and consultation to prevent and resolve issues. 
Will Stopping A Leak Kill The Mold?
Is All Visible Mold or Mildew Dangerous?
water damage and mold, mold consulting services
how to clean mold
     Don't assume that once moisture from a leak or flood is
stopped the mold will die. In the absence of moisture the mold becomes non-viable or dormant. During the dormant period
any spores present will still retain their allergenic properties
and mycotoxins.

     Once moisture is re-introduced the waiting spores will again
flourish and colonizing will begin. The process will continue to
ingest the food source. If left unresolved it the integrity of the structure will be compromised and spore contamination will
occur.

​     The best course of action once mold growth is found is
to have it professionally remediated following the IICRC S-520 Guidelines.  call me about an inspection or consultation .
     Absolutely not. The tiny black spots you find on window sills or bathroom ceilings and tile grout are merely surface mold or mildew. What happens is that dust, which contains a myriad of cellulistic fibers, accumulates on surfaces where there is recurring moisture. You have the moisture and a food source all ready in supply.

     As mold spores also accumulate on these surfaces they take advantage of the buffet and propogate. This can easily be cleaned
off with soap and water during routine housekeeping.  No special products are needed to clean this type of mold up.

     Serious mold growth is the result of a hidden leak within the structure or a water/sewer damage incident that is not proerly dried or a crawl space or attic that has leak issues.  
Chlorine Bleach, Paint and Mold
Who Can Be Trusted To Remove Mold?
chlorox bleach and mold, bleach home remedy for mold
mold inspection, mold remediation, mold sampling, air testing, mold testing
     Chlorine bleach is ineffective when used to clean up severe mold growth on porous surfaces like wood. The formula is just too weak.
It will remove the color but in time the growth will again appear because the moisture in the bleach is actually feeding the growth. Bleach is not an EPA registered fungicide or effective home remedy. Testing has proven this to be true.

     Bleach is fine to use if wiping off mold on ceramic/glass tiles and counter tops for hygienic purposes. Plain soap and water is effective on most kitchen and bath mold
and mildew.

     Regarding severe mold growth on wood, never cover it with ordinary paint or any type of sealant. That will just encapsulate the moisture, food source and mold which will continue to grow
since it does not need air to do so.
Questions?  Call me and we will talk. ​​
     Not every contractor advertising to be a mold specialist knows what he is doing. Poor or inadequate trainng and lack of knowledge can make a bad situation worse. Failure to identfy, locate and remove all mold contamination in a structure isn't taking care of the problem. Failure to utilize proper containment procedures and removal techniques can contaminate an entire home. Failure to use EPA registered products is putting you at risk. Taking shortcuts is
irresponsible. Unfortunately fraud and dishonesty are out there too.      
     Make sure the people you deal with are trained and certified by a professional institute. Make sure the business carries pollutions insurance. Make sure they abide by the IICRC S-520 Guidelines for Mold Remediation. Ask questions.

     A good contractor will have his work inspected and verified with air sampling by an objective third party before and after a mold remediation. Call me and we will talk.